We are proud
Equality and freedom from sexual harassment and discrimination are fundamental human rights that belong to all Australians, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or because they are intersex.
Sexual Harassment Claims is proud to offer support and assistance to members of the LGBTIQ community who experience sexual harassment and discrimination.
You are not alone
According to the Australian Human Rights Commission, 83 per cent of people who identify as gay or lesbian and 90 per cent people who identify as bisexual have experienced sexual harassment over the course of their lifetimes, compared to 70 per cent of heterosexual people.
The AHRC found that 52 per cent of people who identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, pansexual, or queer had experienced workplace sexual harassment in the past five years, compared to 31 per cent of heterosexual workers.
A 2017 survey by the AHRC of more than 30,000 students from 39 universities, found that LGBTIQ students experience higher rates of sexual assault and harassment on campus than their straight peers.
The survey found 44 per cent of bisexual students and 38 per cent of gay or lesbian students were sexually harassed, while 45 per cent of gender diverse respondents reported being assaulted or harassed.
How We Can Help
We regularly represent members of the LGBTIQ community who have been subjected to sexual harassment or discrimination in various courts, commissions and tribunals.
Our LGBTIQ-friendly lawyers and advocates have a specialist understanding of issues arising from your identification as LGBTIQ – and can offer you support and advice on your best options moving forward.
If you choose to make a complaint about sexual harassment or discrimination:
- we can take immediate legal action to ensure that the offending behaviour is stopped, and will ensure that you are no longer in a situation where you are exposed to that behaviour
- we can handle all negotiations with your employer, and/or the perpetrator involved
- we can file all formal documents in the Human Rights Commission or Industrial Relations Commission, or any other relevant court or tribunal
- we can advocate on your behalf in any court ordered conciliation or mediation meetings
- we can represent you in any formal hearings in relevant courts or commissions
- we can negotiate substantial compensation payments for you for shock and distress
Rest assured, we will never give up fighting until we have achieved justice for you.
Please call our team today on 1300 463 866.
We look forward to helping you.
Sexual Harassment – It Happens To Men Too